10 Plants That Are Poisonous To Pets

10 POPULAR PLANTS THAT ARE POISONOUS TO YOUR PETS

tulips.jpg


Spring is here and while we are all excited to see our yards and gardens in bloom, let’s keep in mind that some of our favorite plants have hidden dangers and can severely injure or even kill our pets. Here are the top 10 offenders:

1. Tulips and Hyacinths
Tulips contain allergenic lactones and hyacinths have alkaloids that are similar in nature. The highest concentration of the toxic substance is in the bulb, while leaves and flowers are less toxic. If your dog digs up the bulbs and chews on them (or worse – ingests them completely) the substances can irritate its mouth and esophagus, as well as cause drooling, vomiting and diarrhea. More severe symptoms include increased heart rate and difficulty breathing. Your vet can treat your dog with mouse rinses, anti-vomiting medication and fluids.

2. Daffodils
This iconic sprint plant contains lycorine, an alkaloid that triggers vomiting, and all parts of the plant are toxic – bulb, steam, leaf or flower. Upon ingestion, your dog may experience severe vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, or even more scary symptoms like cardiac arrhythmia or respiratory depression. Take your dog to a veterinarian right away if you notice symptoms.

3. Lillies
There are many varieties of lilies and while some are dangerous to pets, others are completely harmless. Peace, Peruvian, and Calla lilies cause mild tissue irritation to the mouth and esophagus. Tiger, Easter, Day, Asiatic, and Japanese Show lilies – are extremely toxic to cats and can cause rapid kidney failure. If you see or suspect that your cat ingested a lily, immediately bring it to your vet and take a sample of the plant with you.

4. Oleander
Oleander is a popular shrub. Not many people are aware that its leaves and flowers are extremely toxic if ingested and can cause severe vomiting, slow the heart rate and may cause death.

5. Azaleas and Rhododendrons
Azaleas are beautiful plants that can really make your yard stand out, but beware – their leaves, flowers and even nectar can cause excessive drooling, vomiting, and diarrhea. Pets who ingest the azalea plant may end up in a coma and die. Other symptoms include very low blood pressure and irregular heart rhythm,

6. Chrysanthemum
Chrysanthemums are like a pretty package of toxins that can cause vomiting, excessive drooling, dermatitis, lack of coordination and diarrhea. Keep your pets away from chrysanthemums and call your vet if you suspect exposure.

7. English Ivy
English Ivy contains a toxin called hederagenin, which, when ingested by your pet, causes vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain, as well as tissue irritation, rash and fever. It’s worth noting that this plant’s toxicity is milder and it takes quite a bit of ingested English Ivy to cause serious problems.

8. Cyclamen
Cyclamen is highly toxic, with its roots being the most dangerous part of the plant. The toxins in cyclamen can cause severe vomiting and may lead to death.

9. Lily of the Valley
This common spring plant contains cardiac glycosides which cause vomiting, diarrhea, low heart rate, cardiac arrhythmias (potentially severe), and seizures. If your pet has ingested any amount of Lily of the Valley (and any part), take it to your veterinarian for treatment.

10. Chives
This popular herb is known for its beautiful purple blooms, but, like all members of the Allium family, it is moderately toxic to both dogs and cats. If ingested, it can cause Mouth tissue irritation and drooling; abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhea; heart and respiratory rate changes, as well as weakness and collapse. Garlic and onion are in the same family and are also toxic to your pets. Be watchful if you grow these herbs, as symptoms may have delayed onset. Call your veterinarian if you suspect you pet ingested chives or other member of the Allium family.

Keep your pets safe when planting this season!
And keep this 24/7 Pet Poison Control number handy:
855.764.7661

McKay AhPing